In 1953, the community leaders of Fort Payne, Collinsville, and Centre joined forces to establish the DeKalb-Cherokee Counties Gas District. With 0 customers, and $0 revenue, approximately $2 million was borrowed in 1953 to construct the initial DC Gas System in these three towns. That is the approximate equivalent of borrowing over $25 million today. In 1960-1961, two expansions were constructed; the first into Cedar Bluff from Centre, and the second onto Sand Mountain covering Crossville, Geraldine, Fyffe, Rainsville, and Powell. After the 1960-1961 expansions were completed, DC Gas served approximately 3,000 customers, and the service area could not significantly expand due to capacity limitations from the pipeline.
In 1996, the leaders of DC Gas took on, at the time, one of the largest public works projects ever in Northeast Alabama. DC Gas borrowed over $15 million to construct and install an additional connection to the Southern Natural Pipeline. This project tripled the transportation capacity, and quickly doubled the number of customers that DC Gas was able to serve to approximately 6,000. Numerous expansions have occurred since that time, but on a significantly lesser scale. Today, DC Gas owns and operates approximately 750 miles of gas main, and serves approximately 8,000 customers.